by Pretty Pretty
- Challenge Fic
- Standard Disclaimer: due South and it's characters belong to Alliance. I
just use them for fun. Hopefully they will return to their world unharmed
and ready for other people to play with them.
- This is unbeta'd. So overlook the blaring typo's. :)
- Grimacing in pain, she tugged once again on the ring.
- "Cheap fake costume jewelry!" Francesca yelled through gritted
teeth as she tried in vain to get the ring off. Her finger was throbbing and
she knew it would be bruised if she ever got the ring off. She stomped out
of her room and down the stairs to the kitchen.
- "Ma!" Not hearing a response she looked out on the back porch
and them down the basement steps.
- "Ma!? You down there?!" She tugged absently at the ring on her
right hand as she called.
- Huffing in frustration, she went to the sink and ran some cold water over
- "C'mon. Come off!" This only succeeded in making her hand even
more numb and red.
- "Is somethin' wrong
- "Jesus!" Francesca jumped at the sound of Ray's voice.
"What are you doing here?! You scared the pee out of me!" Ray
Kowalski ran his hand through his spiked hair as he apologized.
- "Sorry. Ma wanted me to bring these food containers back. I didn't
mean to scare ya."
- "That's okay. Just put them on the counter." Francesca frowned
as she tried once again to get the ring off her finger.
- "What's wrong?"
- "It's stuck. If I ever get this cheap thing off, I'm throwing it
away!" Ray placed the various Tupperware containers on the counter and
joined Francesca at the sink.
- "Why'd you wear it if it was too small?"
- "It wasn't too small this morning! My fingers swelled."
Francesca shot him an aggravated look and returned to pulling on the ring.
- "You got to twist it."
- "Twist it. Like this." Ray reached out and took her hand in his.
His face took on a look of concentration as he firmly grasped the band of
the ring between his fingers. He started to twist it in circles and pulled
- "OW!" Francesca screamed as Ray tried to pull the ringer past
the fleshy part of her finger.
- "Sorry." He looked sheepishly at her and she couldn't help but
smile at him.
- "It's okay. You're just trying to help." Francesca began to feel
warm as Ray's nimble fingers held onto her hand. She was suddenly aware of
how close they were standing together. She leaned forward slightly and tried
to casually take a deep breath. He smelled nice. She never figured him for
the type to wear cologne. Of course, she never really thought about it
before either. As he tried once again to free her finger from the ring, he
looked into her eyes and allowed a small smile grace his features.
- "This might hurt.
Your finger's raw so... I'm sorry."
- "Are you going to twist it again?"
- "One more time, then I'll try something else okay?" Francesca
looked directly into his pale blue eyes as she nodded. She had totally lost
interest in the ring on her hand. Her thoughts were now with the man standing
in front of her. She knew she was supposed to treat as a brother and until
this moment she hadn't had a problem with that. But as he gingerly tugged
again on her finger, she noticed the sweet and gentle side of him. Something
she had never taken the time to notice before.
- "Ouch!" The pain interrupted her thoughts and before she knew
it, he brought her hand to his lips and gently kissed her finger.
- "Sorry. This ain't gonna work. I can try one more thing. Okay?"
Ray's eyes sparkled as he waited for Francesca to answer.
- "Sure. Whatever it takes to get this stupid thing off." Ray's
crooked grin caught her slightly off guard. *Is it hot? Why is it so hot in
here? * Before she could suggest they get a drink of something cold, Ray
slipped her ring finger into his mouth. She took a surprised intake of
breath and stared at him with her large brown eyes. She felt a surge or
excitement travel through her legs and land in the pit of her stomach. His
tongue caressed her finger as his teeth rested on the edge of the ring. His
eyes were locked with hers as he sucked lightly on her finger. Then as his
suction increased, he used his teeth to pull the ring from her hand. Still
holding on to her hand, he showed her the ring between his teeth as he
smiled. Placing the ring in the palm of her free hand he whispered.
- "Hope that didn't hurt." Francesca could feel his breath on her
cheek. He was gently rubbing her fingers as they stood there in the kitchen
of her family home. She looked at his face once again and saw something she
had never taken the time to see before. He liked her. He liked her more than
she would ever know. Not knowing what to do next, she hesitated a moment and
then kissed him lightly on the cheek.
- "Thanks." Before pulling away completely, she felt his hand slip
around her waist. In the time it took to take a breath, he covered her lips
with his. Francesca felt the warmth of his tongue on her lips as she allowed
him entry to her mouth. Light kisses turned to passionate ones as she leaned
against the counter. Ray ran his hands along her back and through her hair
as he showed her how he felt. A car door slamming jolted them apart. Ma
called through the house for Francesca to help her with the bags from the
market. Ray rushed to her aid and left Francesca in the kitchen to think
about what had just happened between them. Ray waved politely as he excused
himself. The wink to Francesca went unnoticed by Ma as she started to put up
groceries. Francesca looked at the ring in her hand and smiled.
- "Can you help me dear?"
- "Sure Ma. I just have to go put this ring away. I don't want anything
to happen to it. It's my favorite."